Some recent work on the AMSAT servers (I think it was a server relocation to a facility in Texas) caused TLE updates to quit working for a short while. This “broke” some auto-updating features baked into many satellite tracking applications and devices. Among those, the S.A.T. antenna rotator and radio controller. This is the standalone hardware controller I use and before I even noticed it wasn’t working correctly, I got an alert about it from CSN Technologies, the company who makes the device.
The suggested fix was a firmware update and change to the file location for future TLE updates. The new file location is directed to the company Web site and while I have pointed it as suggested for now, I’ll eventually point it back to an AMSAT repository as that seems a better long-term solution.
The accompanying firmware update (v5.312) incorporated a few new features as described in the changelog:
- 6/21/2021 FW Ver. 5.312
- Make CSNTechnologies.net the default TLE source.
- Added more checking for bad TLE files.
- Disable PL when choosing transponder.
- Improved colors for iPhone, iPad devices
- Fixed marking QTH on world map.
- Added CW-R radio mode choice.
- Fixed saving TLE url. Use: http://www.csntechnologies.net/SAT/nasabare.txt
This device is simply brilliant and CSN Technologies is top-hole. If you’re looking for a radio and rotor controller solution for your shack I can’t recommend this one highly enough. You can find out more about the many features of the S.A.T. including how to obtain one from this link.